No trip to Laos would be completed without a visit to explore the lush, mountainous town of Vang Vieng. It once had a BIG reputation for crazy, drug and alcohol – fuelled parties. Backpackers would flock here to tube down the Nam Song river and get lassoed in to various bars along the river. Vang Vieng has calmed down a bit but there is still a party here if you’re willing to find it. With that being said here is a list of the best restaurants and bars that you shouldn’t miss when you visit this picturesque town.
- If you’re craving Mexican food, look no further as Amigos serves the best Mexican food in Laos.
- Peeping Somsis a korean barbecue place that you’ll want to come hungry and with friends. You cook your own meat and vegetables at your table and theres a variety of Lao and Korean beer and cocktails to sample while you wait.
- VangVieng has lots of pizza joints but Pizza Lukamakes you feel like you’re in Italy. Every pizza is hand cooked in an outdoor oven and has several pizzas with goat cheese.
- Laos food has lots of Indian influence in there dishes. If you’re looking for some authentic Indian food Nazim Indian has a wind variety of Indian dishes. Try the Vegetable Korma or Malai Kofta and pair it with some garlic naan.
Nightlife and Drinks:
- Full Moon Bar – Full Moon Bar lets patrons choose the music and has a great English-speaking staff. Play foosball, shoot pool and enjoy the happy menu. This was my favorite bar in Vang Vieng.
- Viva Vang Vieng – Located on the main drag. Viva is bigger than the other night club in town and is open till 2 am every other night.
- Sakura – Expect to have a wild time, dance a lot and to drink copious amounts of shots. FREE shots offered everyday from 7-9. Open from 11 am – Midnight everyday.
- Gary’s Irish Bar – Located in the center of town this bar has regular live music sessions, cheap eats, a good pool table, a dartboard and live football on TV. They have a great happy hour everyday, buy 2 cocktails or shots and get the third FREE! Open daily from 9 am-midnight.
- Tifalcony Space Bar – If you’re looking to find what Vang Vieng’s “old” reputation is all about, Space Bar is for you. Serving a variety of shakes, teas, and pizzas, you’ll feel out of this world, hence the name Space Bar.
Have you ever been to Vang Vieng? If so leave a comment on your favorite bar or restaurant. Thanks for reading and follow me @imjess_traveling to see my adventures around the world.